- Buttermilk (a carton)
- Self Raising Flour
- Fillings of choice
- Plum Jam, shredded coconut, shredded apple and sultanas (as featured in photo)
- Shredded apple, cinnamon and sugar
- Nutella and choc chips
- Apricot jam, diced apricots and shredded coconut
- Strawberry Jam and mixed dried fruit
- White chocolate and passionfruit pulp
- Honey and sliced banana
- Vegimite and cheese
- Shredded ham, cheese and pineapple
- Salami, ham and cheese
- Semi-dried tomatoes, low fat feta cheese, ham, salami and cheese
In a bowl, combine 1 cup of buttermilk and 2 cups of flour with a fork until a soft dough forms. Flour a mat and rolling pin and roll out the dough until 1-2cm thick. Spread with a filling of your choice, sweet or savoury. Pick up pastry from one end and roll it up to the other (as shown in the photo above). Once the dough is now one big scroll, use a sharp knife to cut the scroll into 2-3cm slices. Place these lying flat on a non-stick baking tray as you cut (as shown in the photo below). Cook in an oven at 180'C fan-forced 4 for 20-25 minutes. Once cooled a little, serve.
This process can be repeated until all of the buttermilk is used. It makes approximately 2 1/2 batches. For the half batch make sure the measurements maintain that ratio of 1:2, in this case it will be 1/2:1. If you don't simplify the ratio evenly, then the dough will either be too sloppy or too hard.