Citrus Flavours

Citrus Flavours
Photo by Scott Bauer

Search This Blog

Background of Blog

This blog has been designed to enlighten the world to sweet and savoury cusine. Personally, my favourite ingredient in cooking is citrus fruits, particually lemons, so I will try to inspire your inner chef to share the interesting flavour of lemons in the most indulgent cupcakes, muffins, cakes, slices, cookies and of course savoury dishes. My collection of recipes can be applied to any situation; formal or informal, in any case they are delicious and will interest your guests! Enjoy preparing and sharing the following recipes for what will be a memorable gathering with friends and family for any occassion.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Butterscotch Squares

Recipe from 100 Favourite Muffins and Slices by Simon and Alison Holst
Images by Yasmin

This is a sweet, caramel flavoured slice that is very addictive. It tastes fantastic plain and in small slices as a snack. I make this slice often and everyone enjoys its sweet taste.


Ingredients:
Base and Topping:
  • 125g butter
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla flavouring
  • 1 cup SR flour
  • 1 cup flour
Filling:
  • 100g butter
  • 2 tblsp golden syrup
  • 400g sweetened condensed milk
Method:
Heat oven to 180'C fan-forced. For base, cut butter into pieces and melt. Take off heat and beat in sugar, egg, vanilla flavouring until evenly mixed. Stir in the flours until mixture is crumbly, then squeeze into a ball. Break 3/4 of the dough into bits and spread evenly in the pan. Put the rest in the fridge.

For filling, melt butter in a pot. Add in syrup and stir. Add condensed milk, mix well, then pour the filling over the unbaked mixture in the tin.

For topping, grate the cold remaining dough on tip of the filling. Bake for 30-45 minutes. Cool on rack for 2 hours. Cut into slices. Store in the fridge (sometimes it is best to refridgerate first and then cut into slices).

9 comments:

  1. Oh, I bet this is so good. What is SR flour? And is golden syrup the same as pancake syrup or is it corn syrup?

    ReplyDelete
  2. SR flour = Self raising flour
    golden syrup, i think, is pancake syrup. It is a sweet syrup (like honey) made from sugar cane.

    I'm glad you like this recipe! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like its delicious Yas! I love any baked good with sweetened condensed milk in it. I'm noting this recipe down for a later date! If I make it I'll give a shout out to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't say no to something that contains both golden syrup and condensed milk! That's just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yasmin, you have a real winner here. Your squares look wonderful and they sound delicious. I always enjoy my visit to your blog and love to return to see what else you have been making and photographing. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. The squares look so moist and yummy! When I look at the recipe, it sounds delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oo, that sounds delicious. Butterscotch...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm I love butter and I love caramel. This is a win-win recipe for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yasmin, The recipe sounds quite different and very good. I will try this soon.

    ReplyDelete