Citrus Flavours

Citrus Flavours
Photo by Scott Bauer

Search This Blog

Background of Blog

This blog has been designed to enlighten the world to sweet and savoury cusine. Personally, my favourite ingredient in cooking is citrus fruits, particually lemons, so I will try to inspire your inner chef to share the interesting flavour of lemons in the most indulgent cupcakes, muffins, cakes, slices, cookies and of course savoury dishes. My collection of recipes can be applied to any situation; formal or informal, in any case they are delicious and will interest your guests! Enjoy preparing and sharing the following recipes for what will be a memorable gathering with friends and family for any occassion.

Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter Cake

Recipe and photos by Yasmin

I understand completely that this is being posted a few days after Easter, but this is when I had time to make it. Also, I understand that I am going completely against my rule that this blog would contain no traces of chocolate whatsoever, however, Easter isn't really Easter without some chocolate. So here is my main Easter recipe that is a little bit naughty but a whole lot of fun. I guarantee that you will enjoy making and serving this dessert because it is full of life and the joy of Easter.


Ingredients:
Coffee cake batter:
  • 2 tblsp margarine or butter
  • 1 cup self raising flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla flavouring
  • 2-3 tsp instant coffee dissolved in 3 tblsp boiled water
Decorations:
  • chocolate icing
  • melted cooking chocolate
  • sugar coated mini chocolate eggs
  • cellophane and miniature chicken

Method:
For Coffee Cake; Grease a fluted cake tin. Heat oven 180'C fan forced. Melt butter in a medium sized bowl. Add all other ingredients and beat until smooth. Put in prepared cake tin. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Once cooked turn out onto a wire rack. Prepare chocolate icing while cake is cooling.

For Chocolate icing see Icing and Sauces Page on blog.
Once cake is cooled, ice.

Leave the cake to set. Once set, arrange the cellophane in the middle of the cake to fill majority of the hole. Cover cellophane with sugar coated chocolate eggs. This arrangement of decorations should look like eggs in a nest.

Melt 2-3 tblsp cooking chocolate or cooking choc chips in a plastic zip lock bag (be careful not to burn the chocolate - melt on a low heat). Using scissors, snip a pin prick sized hole at one end of the zip lock bag to create a mess free piping bag. Pipe long lines from left to right until the cake is covered with chocolate lines (as seen in the photo below).

For the finishing touches, place a miniature yellow chicken in the nest near the eggs - giving the Easter and mother hen effect.

Serve.

16 comments:

  1. You did a lovely job with this cake. It really looks delicious. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I got you comment and linked this up for you at Seaside Simplicity. It's easy to link up - just click the blue frog face at the bottom of the post to add your url. You have lots of great recipes here if you want to add more for the Easter party :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG That looks so wonderful! And Yasmin, thank you for commenting on my blog. I wonder how you found it?
    PS: Please follow my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a gorgeous cake! I may just use it next Easter--or, leave off the eggs and use it anytime.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one gorgeous coffee cake. I love it with the chocolate drizzle! Thanks for the visit and the nice comment.
    I'm enjoying your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey thanks for stopping by my blog! LOVE yours! Already found its way to the "Keeper File" =) Hope you'll come back this evening or the next few days and link up with Wordless Wednesdays, too. http://hisperfectpromises.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmmmmmmm preciosa y tiene que estar muy rica. Un saludo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely lovely cake! Especially the finishing touch by paling the miniature chicken! I will love trying out your recipe :) Thanks for sharing! Following you now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chocolate cake looks awesome delicious. thanks for visiting my blog. you have a wonderful space too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job on the easter cake! Looks so elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This cake looks absolutely amazing, so tempting! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters
    P.S. I'm following you now, I LOVE food blogs :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is the cutest Easter cake i have seen )

    ReplyDelete