Images by Yasmin
This is a healthy fruit bar to have as a snack in lunch boxes, with coffee, for afternoon and morning tea, or as a snack during the day. It has a crusty appearance and texture similar to shortbread. The flavour is delicious though!
- 125g dried apricots, chopped
- hot water
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 3/4 cup coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 185g butter or margarine, melted
Soak chopped apricots in hot water for 30 minutes, drain. Put in bowl with sugar, sifted flour, coconut, dates, salt. Add melted butter, mix well. Spread mixture into greased lamington tin. Bake in moderate oven for approximately 25 minutes or until cooked. Remove from oven, allow to cool, and cut into squares.
- Omit dried apricots and double quantity of dates
- Omit 1/4 cup flour and substitute 1/4 cup wheatgerm